Sunday, October 24, 2010

Leaders Are Not Always Right

There have now been too many interrelated events this morning for me to not write this post. I was way more productive yesterday than I had intended to be and I am a little tired from all that. If that is too cryptic, I spent way more time than I would have liked to at two home improvement stores, maintained the fireplace, organized part of the garage, and for good measure, replaced a leaking garbage disposal. So I thought maybe I could get a bit of a day off today. And then...

The Holy Spirit said, "Leaders are not always right." I had not even finished mulling that when my wife asked, "In Romans 12 it says that we are to do what is right in the sight of everyone. Wouldn't that make us man-pleasers?" I gave her the best answer I could, but at that point I was still not making any connection. Then I opened my email. The last headline on the list was the notification of a comment by "Anonymous" on my blog. I was still okay. Of course I had to read the comment. You can read it for yourself, (I do not seem to be able to get the link in here right now, but the comments are on the post entitled, "Heart of a Warrior") but my understanding of the sense of it is that there is more than one way to pursue spiritual warfare and he/she (?) is not sure I am using the correct approach. Okay. No problem. I appreciate the input. Were that as far as it went, I can live with that. How many of you know, the Holy Spirit is not going to let something like that rest?

Let me put those things together for us. Please read the whole context before deciding I am wrong or even being a little harsh. I am just reporting. Wherever a religious spirit has any measure of control, the leaders are the problem. We cannot live our lives to please people who are themselves problems, or participants in the problems. The clear teaching of Romans 12 (and various other Bible passages) is that we each have our own jobs to do if the body of Christ on earth is to be victorious over our enemies. I obviously cannot speak for anyone else, but I am confident I am doing what I am supposed to do.

Now of course I have to clarify the previous paragraph. All the leaders are not the problem. I am not indicting your pastor or my pastor or the leaders of any of what we call "paraChurch" ministries in the Santa Maria valley. I am only writing about the ones who are participating with the religious spirit by seeking their own and controlling and/or otherwise keeping the flock of God from "...attaining the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ." (Ephesians 4:13) Listen, even the ones who are causing the problem are doing it ignorantly. They are good men and women. If they understood what they were doing, they would not do it. Do not let anything written here inspire you to ignore Hebrews 13:17, "Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account..." (Hebrews 13:17)

As for the question, my wife posed, our responsibility as Christians is to do the right thing. The only people we are required to please in any endeavor are those who, "...see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16)

That would have been all I had to say except that there is a fourth occurrence today that probably set the three we have already mentioned in motion. Tom Demaree, whom we have mentioned before, is relaunching Pentecost Walk in Santa Maria. The culmination is a prayer walk this very afternoon from the Foursquare Church to City Hall. (I really hope I have all that right. Do not make your plans to attend until you check with someone else to be sure.) Tom is a man we greatly respect and support prayerfully and financially. Tom is doing spiritual warfare a different way than we are. When I worked at FedEx, we would have given him an award called, "Bravo Zulu" for fulfilling his call to ministry with all his spirit, soul, and body. You go Tom!

I am about to hit the "Publish Post" button knowing that I might have to un-post and re-post this. We are almost out the door to hear Pastor Jack Hayford speak at a local church. Jack was our pastor for several years, quite a few years ago. He is a giant among pastors and theologians. He always has a word from God. He might say something today that needs to be stated or clarified here, but for now...

1 comment:

  1. "Wherever a religious spirit has any measure of control, the leaders are the problem."
    A religious spirit comes in many forms. We usually apply the term to what we don't like, often overlooking the religious spirit we do like.
    Leaders often times need help down of the throne that the congregational sycophants have so lovingly placed them on. This applies to everyone, even Jack Hayford.

    ReplyDelete