Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Reflections on Turning 60

It happens to most everyone who is blessed enough to be alive at a certain time of year. Sixty times to this point, people have acknowledged the passing of another year of my life. At first it was just the family and since I was the first child, there was not that much family around. I was also the first grandchild and although I do not remember it at all, I am certain my maternal grandparents and probably an aunt and uncle were there to help with the celebration that first year. This year, I was asked what would make my birthday special. I said any celebration should include my children and beef on the barbecue. I was still surprised when I saw my youngest daughter and her husband walk up to the house after flying from New York to honor my desire. They were joined by a couple dozen friends and family throughout the day. My son demonstrated his mastery of the Santa Maria style barbecue with top sirloin, linguica, and chicken. It was odd to have my barbecue being used and not be the one tending it. My apologies if you would have come and did not receive an invitation.

Of all those birthdays, this one seems to somehow be a definite turning point. I did not even get all the pizazz of turning 21. The age of majority had been lowered to 18 two days before my birthday. That might have had something to do with Barry McGuire's line, "You're old enough to kill, but not for voting." from his Viet Nam era ballad, "Eve of Destruction." Since I never drank alcohol that really was not a big deal anyway.

Although there have been major changes around here, (end of a job, beginning of a ministry, new horizons) perhaps much of what I am feeling is simply introspection at the passing of another decade. As a young, associate pastor in the 1970s, I remarked during a sermon that I liked to reflect on my life at the passing of each year. It is amazing the power of simple words sometimes. I had a mother mention to me sometime later that my statement had made a profound impact on her teenage son. He had begun to do the same thing and take steps to modify his life based on his reflection.

During the last year, I came to understand a new facet of the Kingdom of God. I recall pondering God's rest from Hebrews chapter 4 as far back as the 1970s. I could never really grasp the concept. I have now come to believe one enters into God's rest a piece at a time. I have no idea how many pieces there are, but I have entered into two of them.

For years I had a fear of man. I thought a man, any man, could keep God's will from being done in my life. The Bible says that brings a snare. (Proverbs 29:25) I can tell you it did. I cannot tell you how I entered into rest from it, but I have. I no longer fear what man can do to me. God has all that under control. Of course, I have known that for a long time, but I did not know it. I am sure you know what I mean. I also used to be afraid that I would have no money and my wife and children would not be adequately cared for. I even remember the day it dawned on me that we had never missed a meal or a house payment or car payment and in fact we had never even gotten a past due notice on a bill. I remember thinking there was no reason to fear a shortage in the financial area. In spite of all that, God worked a sovereign grace in me and now I really, truly do not have a fear of lack. I know that I know that I know God is going to meet all my needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19) Being at rest in just those two areas has given me a peace that is evident to me and to those around me who are perceptive enough to recognize it. As I said, I do not know how many areas of God's rest there are, but I will take all He gives. This is great!

I read a story sometime ago about a man who had been working on a radio tower and had fallen many feet, landing on his back. When he arrived at the hospital he could see the concern on the faces of the emergency room staff. One of them asked him how he was feeling. He said, "If I were any better, I would have to be twins." They knew anyone with that kind of attitude was going to be fine. If you hear me use that phrase from time to time, I am acknowledging God's grace going forward from six decades of walking this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment