Monday, April 18, 2011

What Do I Do

My life has pretty much, totally changed since January 24, 2011. That was the day my employment ended at the Central Coast Rescue Mission. It was also a very freeing day. I had not even realized how much of a box I had been relegated to. Of course change is rarely comfortable and without boundaries as to days and hours at work, not to mention a paycheck hitting my bank account twice a month, that was a dramatic change. At this point we are making our way through a host of changes including a new teaching venue, new roommates, new schedule, and looking for a new church. Just for good measure, there is also the new health insurance, health savings account, and the new doctor. I may be getting too old for this much change all at once. Then again, my father is almost 83 years old and his doctor thinks he could live to be nearly 100 so, should Jesus tarry, I probably have a lot more years to tread this sod.

Almost invariably when we meet someone new, one of the first questions they ask is, "What do you do?" I was asked that question recently while visiting a church for the first time. The problem is, I do not really know what I do. My top-0f-the-head response was, "I am in the process of reinventing myself." I then went on to explain that I am a substance abuse counselor, I am starting a therapeutic community, and I am still trying to figure out how to make money consistently in the stock market, all the while, writing this blog to see if perchance we might defeat the religious spirit over the Santa Maria valley sooner rather than later. If you know anything about me you know I do not give up--on challenges, or on challenging people. Although it might be prudent to throw in the towel at times. That is just not me. God willing, I will be here.

Now I have no job and I am kind of enjoying it. If we can manage to establish some sort of routine and generate enough income, I think the no job thing will work very well for me. Not having a job or a regular stream of income can work on a man's psyche, and especially so if he watches his wife go off to work everyday. I am also in the process of understanding that whole situation and finding peace in it. Have you ever noticed that although God always provides everything we need, we sometimes do not like the way He chooses to do it? Been there done that too. It is probably best just to let Him be God and decide how best to deal with those things. To be sure there has been some stress and anxiety as things are coming into focus, but are not quite there yet. I am looking forward to telling you the end of this story. Of course if you keep reading the posts you will see the lessons as they develop.

It seems that by the age of sixty, I should have a better idea of what I want to be when I grow up. I have always said I am a late bloomer, but now it is getting to edge of being ridiculous. In all actuality, however, I am doing exactly what I want to do and, more importantly what I believe the Lord has called me and prepared me to do. Many people make the mistake of thinking that a multitude of witnesses will tip the spiritual scales toward the truth much like what an attorney expects to have happen in a court of law. Courts of law are courts of law. They have nothing to do with spiritual realities. In the spirit, one man can be a majority. (Do not go getting your exercise by jumping to a conclusion and running off with something I did not just say.) In the Old Testament, the prophets were usually one-man majorities in telling the people what God was saying. Of course, there are also evidences of ample confirmations as in the account of Elisha being told by other prophets that God was about to take Elijah away. (2 Kings 2) The Kings of Israel and Judah were always, each individually a majority. They were the undisputed rulers of their respective kingdoms and their word was law. There were even times when a priest spoke as a majority as in the account of the high priest Caiaphas saying that Jesus should die rather than the whole nation perish. (John 11:50) When it comes to our own, individual lives, we are the only majority that matters. We determine our own course of action, to our benefit or our detriment. A wise person will seek as much counsel as possible before heading in a new direction, but it is still his own decision the ultimately prevails.

A few years ago in a business class, we first heard the concept of a story loop. A story loop is every good reason we can think of to continue to do the wrong things we have been doing. Too many of us have been stuck in story loops for far too long. We cannot do this or that, or what we know God is calling us to do because (fill in the blank).

I used to want to make a lot of money. Although that would be nice, I now have different goals and ambitions. I would still like to have a six figure income some year, and that is almost in sight, just over the horizon. That is not terribly important at this point, but I believe it will happen. For the time being, I am working on providing a place where people who need help with the struggles of life can come and find rest for their souls. If we have not already, we are in the process of shrugging off the religious spirit, at least for our little group. By the way, I have already been criticized for working on all those things, by guess who? That is right, people who do not even know they are affected by a religious spirit. I would be content with being a one-man majority because I know what the Holy Spirit is saying to me. Thankfully, God has a better idea. He has been gathering a few people around me so I do not have to be my own majority. Together we are learning how to lead productive lives, following Jesus, and helping others do the same. We are by no means an exclusive club. Inquire within for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment