Monday, May 25, 2009

In the Beginning

Everything has to start somewhere. (I will be catching you up on the intervening years in coming posts.)

Although this blog starts today, the story starts almost 22 years ago. We were relatively, happily pastoring a Foursquare church we had started in Davis, CA when we felt prompted of the Lord it was time to leave there and go back to "a place you have been before". I remember complaining to the Lord that it just didn't seem as though we had really accomplished anything. He said, "I did not send you here for the sake of Davis. I sent you here for the sake of David." I understood that to mean He had been preparing me for whatever was to come next, but I remember being frustrated, thinking I had just spent another seven years getting an education, wondering when I would be finished with that. Little did I know or understand at that point that our education into the things of God never ends.

There were only four places that could have been referred to by that brief word from the Lord to my spirit so, after packing our belongings and the kids we headed first to Santa Maria. At that point it had never occured to us that we might be leaving the ministry or the Foursquare Church. We visited the pastor at the Santa Maria Foursquare Church and were told there were no ministry opportunities available for us. Although we were not told in so many words, the emphasis, as it turned out, was on the words for us. As it turned out the other three places also did not seem to be the right places and largely by default we ended up resuming the life we had left in the San Fernando Valley in 1980. It was August 1987.

No comments:

Post a Comment