Monday, June 29, 2009

Mighty Men

"David therefore departed from there and escaped to the cave of Adullam. And when his brothers and all his father's house heard it, they went down there to him. And everyone who was in distress, everyone who was in debt, and everyone who was discontented gathered to him. So he became captain over them. And there were about four hundred men with him." (1 Samuel 22:1-2)

I must admit to liking the way this chapter begins--with my name. That's right, I have the same name as the second king of Israel. That is about where the similarity ends. David had already become famous in Israel. As a youth he had slain Goliath and encouraged the Israelite army to rout the Philistines as a result. In his adult years he was so successful in battle that the nation sang of Saul slaying thousands and David tens of thousands. That did not make him the most popular fellow in Israel. Saul was the king and his ego would not let him be second to David. He tried to kill David in the palace with a spear. After David escaped that assasination attempt he ran away to the wilderness. Saul took his army and chased David and his men all over the wilderness for years. And we think we have bad days.

When we were prayerfully pondering leaving northern California, the Lord gave me a promise that I would grow in wisdom and knowledge and favor with God and man. Naturally I expected that to happen immediately. This is the age of instant communications in various media, one hour cleaners, and microwave popcorn after all. That was over twenty years ago.

I think some people like me. I think everyone should. I am a great guy. Just ask me. I am not perfect by any means. Please do not ask me to rate myself by any measure, on any scale. In comparison to the second king of Israel whose name I bear, I am a minus something. He sinned, I sin. Still, he was a man after God's own heart. I try. Thankfully, we are told in scripture that comparing ourselves one with another is not wise. (2 Corinthians 10:12)

David was in distress as recorded in the verses above. The king wanted him dead. His family gathered around him. Many who were discontented in one way or another gathered around him, four hundred of them. Some of them became David's mighty men. I got three so far. Really, three men who want to fight with me. They know who they are. There are probably more who just have not said so. My father is a little too old and he would not understand spiritual warfare anyway. I have brothers who understand and if push came to shove they would all be right there. And I have three men. They are kind of discontented with their lives. I used to be. I am not anymore. We are all going to battle this religious spirit together and we are going to win. Maybe some other people will join us. Maybe there will be 400 of us. It does not really matter how many there are. The victory is assured. Even now, in answer to our prayers, the Lord is stretching out His hand to banish the enemy.


Yesterday in church, during worship, the Holy Spirit told me to write a letter to three men and gave me the next four topics for this blog. This is the second one. I have already emailed the letter. When Jesus said His yoke is easy and his load is light (Matthew 11:29-30) He was not exaggerating. This is sweatless. God does the work. We follow His instructions. How could it be any easier? Oh, well, there is the whole thing about having to give up our own way to follow His. For the most part our way was not working out all that well anyway. Did I mention my three mighty men also got here the hard way. It did not take them quite as long as it took me, but hey, we are all walking the same way now. Thanks men. And thank all of you who have embraced this battle as if it were your own. Drop us a line sometime. We need you.

No comments:

Post a Comment