Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ecclesiasticisms

The title of this post may be something that just happens in the middle of the night when the change has begun. (Come to think of it those last three words might have been a better title. Oh well, maybe that is the next post?) Still, I would stake whatever reputation I have on the fact the Holy Spirit actually spoke that word into my spirit.

I am a bit conflicted at the moment. I determined that I was not going to write or say anything about a couple different things until I knew exactly what it is the Holy Spirit is saying. Now, here I am typing and I am not sure what He is saying, only that He is saying something. In fact the only thing I am sure He is saying is, "Ecclesiasticisms." Please allow me to save you a little effort by telling you, I already looked it up on dictionary.com and it is not there. However, if you look up "ism" you can get something of an idea of what the word might mean. That is assuming you know that ecclesiastic anything applies to The Church. An ism in this context is something to which one is devoted. So ecclesiasticism would mean devotion to The Church. (Assuming it were a real word.) Except for one thing. Ecclesiasticism would be devotion to the church; not necessarily The Church. Maybe that is the point the Holy Spirit is trying to make? You see, to be devoted to Jesus is to be devoted to The Church whereas ecclesiastism is devotion to the church, or my church, or your church, or any particular church.

I am devoted to the concept of church. Were it not for church, Christian people would have to come to me to have fellowship because I would not go to them. That is just the way I am. My wife, on the other hand, will go about anywhere to meet anyone for any and every good reason. In fact, she often does not even need a reason. She just wants to be around people. When I go anywhere, I am on some kind of a mission. My mission may be to find something like a piece of hardware, a article of clothing, or a flame-broiled whopper, but I am on a mission. Sometimes she just wants to go. So we compromise and we both go. (Get it?)

I have to quit writing now. I am not sure why, but I think it is because if I keep writing I will get myself into trouble. Hopefully someone out there will finish this post. There should be enough here to elicit at least a comment or two about people who love church, but only attend for the purpose of...

2 comments:

  1. I am a man of no religious background who has been attending a particular church for the last year or so. I have grown to love this church. I recently attended a Member Orientation and was disillusioned by the words that came out of the pastor’s mouth as he gave his personal testimony, that of the church itself, and the basic theology that is the basis for its existence. The beautiful things preached on Sunday mornings didn’t match up with the ideals and foundation of the church preached behind “closed doors.” It seriously brought into question why I got into this whole “God business” anyway. What I saw in that pastor was a scarred young man, still with open wounds that befell his father. He refuses to let any of this happen to him, and so he has taken it upon himself to have no highway option. Even though he says, “I’ll find you a different church,” there is an implication that any other church besides his is less than, and so you are obviously less than if you don’t agree with his philosophy and his theology. In Matthew 25:31-46 (Subtitle “The Judgment” in the NASV), Jesus exhorts and encourages His followers, those who will share in His glory. He says to the righteous “For I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in.” Asking someone to leave a church is withholding from them food, water, and shelter in the storm and desolation of their lives. They wouldn’t be seeking God if they didn’t think they needed Him, and to be asking a person to leave a church (which is tantamount to judging them) is refusing to give them what God has so freely given to all of us – GRACE.

    In addition to all of this, this particular pastor is not all that concerned, and in fact, will not encourage theological discussion inside this church. He wants everyone to agree with his way, or it’s the highway. There is not room for iron sharpening iron. They have all melded into one piece of iron, with no room or desire for another. Is it a wonder this church has stopped growing?

    In his own personal testimony he didn’t agree with most of the theology of the church he attended in his younger years, yet they allowed him to be of service anyway. They let him serve and they let him lead. If that church had shared his philosophy of requirements to lead in their church he never would have been allowed those opportunities that he is now compelled to take from people attempting to join this church family.

    I racked my brain and racked my bible trying to find scriptural basis for committing yourself to membership of a church. It seems that once I accepted Jesus Christ as the way, and have been baptized, I am a member of The Church. And that’s how I enter into God’s kingdom. Is there something that I missed?

    The church as we know it has become an idol of sorts. People are more concerned about being members of the right church than actually following the path that God has for them in the interest of pleasing others in their own churches. People will jump at the opportunity to serve God in the church, but balk at all the opportunities He puts in front of them everyday of their lives. To serve God in the church is safe because it’s “normal” to serve God in the church. And it seems that anyone’s ability to lead in this particular church has a direct corollary to the size of their wallet.

    I really have a lot more to say about this, but I will wait for someone else to comment.


    P.S. For the record, I absolutely love this church I attend, and it’s because of this love for this church I found a love for God, and finally gave myself to God from having ZERO religion in my life. You might say I’m at a crossroads. But I will always choose God, with or without this church. The whole reason Jesus covered our sins and bought our way out of bondage was to dispose of the churches and sects that had deceived so many.

    Seems to me religion has always gotten in God’s way. Of course, this is just my scriptural opinion, I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, i feel that we are there to worship god, not worship a pastor. I also feel that the passing of the offering basket should not measure a individuals devotion to god and or their church. I am extremely disenchanted with the statements that were made by this Pastor on behalf of the church.

    I have spent 19 years looking for my home church, and was so excited that we finally did. I too love this church and the way it fills my heart with joy to hear gods word every Sunday.

    Every single one of us has a different story... and in the words of the pastor "you don't know a person until you know their story", some may have the ability to give more than others and some may come in so broken every Sunday and with virtually nothing to look forward to but the fellowship and word of god, and to think they might not be welcomed because of their lack of being able to tithe to someone's satisfaction?

    It also brings to light the other profound statement "we are not in competition, we are in cooperation". Does this statement only apply to those who tithe to the churches expectation? I am a servant of god!

    ReplyDelete