Thursday, January 20, 2011

Think Bigger

It has been said a few times in these pages that we do not often write without some inspiration, which we hope has come from the Holy Spirit. However, this post is more than that. If I may be so bold as to say it, this is more than just inspiration. This is a word, perhaps in the category of the charismata, a word of knowledge. This is the first time I have felt one of these posts had something specific to say to a person or some people about what should be being done. I could only guess who that might be, or what it is they should be doing but I have the strongest suspicion that I also will be moved to action by the time this post is complete. (When I originally wrote that, I had no idea it would be months before I would actually complete the post.)


We always think smaller than God does. For those of you who think the word always should never be used because it is too inclusive, I have scripture on that. Of course, those same people should object to the use of never for the same reason, but they rarely do.


The Bible tells us, "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for those who love Him." (1 Corinthians 2:9) That verse seems to be a pretty definite statement that we always think smaller than God does. Put another way, God always has bigger, hopes, dreams, desires, and aspirations for us than we have for ourselves. He knows how much there is for us and when He follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, rather than our own way, all that is opened up and made possible for us. You see, the things we want simply enter into our minds. The things He wants enter into our renewed minds via our spirit from the Holy Spirit.

Some of you may remember the story of Chuck Smith and the founding of the original Calvary Chapel. They had bought property in one of California's high rent districts. As I recall the story from hearing him tell it over thirty years ago, they negotiated a purchase price for the property. It was a larger piece of property than they felt they really needed, but it was all available so they bought the whole parcel. The problem in Chuck's mind was that they were about a quarter million dollars short of the full purchase price. Of course, that was in the early 1970s and a quarter million dollars was a lot of money. He prayed and told God he thought paying interest was not an efficient of use of their money, but since they considered it all God's money, He would have to deal with it. Shortly thereafter, a call came in from a major oil company offering them a quarter million dollars for a corner of the property. They arranged the sale and paid off their debt. This is one, simple example that I am aware of. Would that qualify as a miracle, something unexpected, even more than they could hope for? I am sure it was more than Chuck expected.


Chuck Smith's dream, or vision if you will, came about on the heels of a failure. By his own admission he killed more than one church before he realized that he was called to do something new and different. When he answered the call of God to reinvent himself, so to speak, and teach through the Bible in a small, Bible study group, the group rapidly outgrew several places they tried to meet. Calvary Chapel churches, by whatever name, have now encircled the globe. I know people who knew Chuck Smith as a child and a teenager. They tell me he was "just an ordinary boy". My guess is that history will record something different.


I have to wonder how many others of us are called to some form of greatness. Most Bible College and Seminary curricula include studies of the great, historical revivals. In those studies, the people who someone thought responsible for those moves of God are recorded. Perhaps they are the ones responsible, but perhaps not. When we say they are responsible, it should be obvious that what we mean is they are the human instrument the Holy Spirit used to get the work done on earth.

I will admit this is new territory for me. Mentally I know God wants more for me, but He has already blessed us so much. We have a lot more than a lot of people do. By American standards we are maybe middle class. By the world's standards, we are wealthy. Oh sure there are a lot of other things we would like to have and things we would like to do if resources were available. There is a lot more out there for us. That is for sure.


I was in an individual counseling session recently, asking a client what his plans were for the rest of his life. He was not sure. Then he asked me when I was going to move forward with something I had mentioned I thought was in my future. I told him the money was not here yet so I was going to content myself with what I am doing now. He said the money is never the problem. I really hate it when the guys I teach this stuff to bring it up at inopportune times. He is right of course. The money we see is never all the money there is at our disposal. All we have to do is get the money out of the spiritual realm into the physical. Simple huh? Most things in the kingdom of God are simple. We are the ones who complicate them. As long as I am quoting the program men, another one said, during a discussion about the best way to do something, "it was our best thinking that got us into this program." That was a reference to the fact that he an several other of the men were ordered to be there by a judge. At least I am one step removed, what with being on staff and getting paid to be there and all.









My posts are now out of order a bit. For some reason, I have not been able to finish this post until now. As the author and publisher I always have the right to redo anything the even actually gets published. I am going to change the date on this one so it ends up being closer to the date it is published than the date I started it. I think this one is now done--except to encourage you to think BIGGER!

No comments:

Post a Comment